Yahoo! Messenger: Creating an alias
An account alias is another name that you can register with Yahoo and attach to your existent account. You will be able to log in to the instant messaging application using either an alias that you have created or the actual account name in combination with your main password. You don’t need to set up a different password for your aliases since you’re actually using the same account, but with a different name.
That means, your contact list is the same whether you log in with your alias or with your account name. You will be able to receive IMs directed to both your main account and your alias. If you have an ID that you don’t like anymore but have a lot of contacts associated with it, you don’t need to abandon it. You can just create an alias for it and pass that as your contact information for future friends.
Now, the procedure….
- Log in to your account at http://pulse.yahoo.com
- Just beneath the top Search button, you should see a navigation bar with a link – “Account Information”. Click on it.
- You will be able to confirm your identity by logging in again. Do that
- Locate the link “Manage Your Yahoo! Aliases” under the “Account Settings” group box and click on it
- You should now see a page called “Manage Your Yahoo! Identities”
- Click the Add an alias link and create your alias
That’s it! You’re done. You will now be able to log in with your alias and your old password and use the Yahoo services just as if you were logged in with your main account.
A few more things to remember:
Once you create an alias, you will be able to select which identity you want to use every time you start a conversation in Yahoo Messenger, before the first line is written.
The identity selected by default is your main account. Be careful with this. If someone from your contact list that has you recorded in his/her list with your main account and has the option “Ignore Anyone Who is not on my Messenger list”, contacting that person as an alias will result in your message not being received.